Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's the little things ...

It's been a while since I've updated my blog. You know how it goes - life gets in the way and things get busy, blah blah blah. :) But here's an update ...
Alex is now 13 1/2 months old - YAY! He's turning into quite the independent little man. It's fun to watch, but at the same time, it can be pretty frustrating when I'm trying to feed him yogurt, for example, and he insists on holding the spoon himself. You can imagine how messy THAT can become, so I try to always have a "main course" that he can eat himself, and then I give him something for dessert that I feed him. Baby steps...
Speaking of baby steps.... Alex has been working on those, too! He is doing really well walking with his walker at home (I have a video that I'll try to attach, but it's on my home computer, so it'll be in a separate post..) but he's not shown much interest in walking unattended at all. He will pull himself up all day long on furtniure, and will walk along the furniture, but when it comes to walking by himself, nothin'. His teacher told me he has to build his confidence first. Ok... when will that happen? So I pick him up from school on Monday and his teacher said... (drum roll please....) that he took a couple of steps by himself!! Praise the Lord. After all we've been through with his little feet, I have been waiting for the longest time for that moment. It breaks my heart that I wasn't there to see it, but just knowing he did it, gives me such joy. I have yet to see it yet, so I'm hoping he'll decide to show off for mommy and daddy any day now ....
Yesterday we had his 3 month checkup at Scottish Rite with his orthopedic doctor. He got the full exam and the usual "Everything looks great, mom!" so that's always good to hear. :) We also got a new pair of shoes for his braces. He'd been in his last pair for 6 mos, so it was time to upsize. We're so lucky that he's so good about us putting his shoes on at night. I can only imagine how hard it must be for some parents whose child fights them. We went through that the first week or so, and I would literally be crying so hard when I put them on, that I couldn't see what I was doing. But after that, Alex just has gotten used to it and honestly doesn't know any different. Other than the first 7 days of his life, he has slept in either casts or braces. He will be so excited when he is finally "free" at night! There is a lot of debate about when that day will come. Alex's dr is in favor of age 2, depending on the progress, but Dr. Ponseti's official recommendation is closer to age 4. So we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
I think that's it for now - sorry for such a boring blog. I've just had so much going on that it's hard to pin point everything worth catching up on! I will include some pictures, though. I have started taking Alex to the park and he LOVES it! I can't wait till I take him and he can walk around on the equipment -he doesn't know what he's missing out on! But in the meantime, I can't tell you how much joy it brings to me to see our son so happy - all because he's suspended in the air and swinging back and forth.. It's the little things, people.






No comments:

Post a Comment